Ready to make your mark in the Arts?
Established in 1959, Canada’s National Ballet School (NBS) is one of the world’s foremost training institutions for aspiring young dancers and teachers. Attracting students from across the country and around the world, NBS is the only ballet academy in North America to provide elite dance training, academic instruction and residential care on the same campus. The School’s progressive curriculum, with its emphasis on the physical and emotional well-being of the student, has put NBS at the forefront of dance training internationally.
Making dance relevant to all persons through its philosophy of ‘sharing dance’ sees NBS engaging a diverse mix of participants, from school children to people living with Parkinson’s Disease, in both on and off-site classes.
Canada’s National Ballet School is currently accepting applications for the Part-Time, Permanent position of
Pointe Shoe Fitter Trainee / Sales Representative
It is anticipated that the successful candidate will be available to work at least 2 of the following shifts:
Tuesday 10:00 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Wednesday 10:00 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday (Sep -May) 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Reporting to the Manager /Footwear Specialist of The Shoe Room, the Pointe Shoe Fitter Trainee / Sales Representative will work to develop the reputation, success and business opportunities of The Shoe Room within the dance community. This position is physically demanding with prolonged periods of standing and some heavy lifting. Some travel is required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Learn pointe shoe manufacturers’ options & specifications and the art of fitting pointe shoes;
- Assist customers in the purchase of pointe shoes; complete sales transactions and POS system reports;
- Provide information, answer questions, provide assistance to customers, in person or by phone or mail order;
- Participate in pointe shoe fitting trips and trade shows;
- Perform alterations and provide advice on the maintenance, wear, and care of pointe shoes;
- Update and maintain a database of information on client/customer needs such as dance uniform requirements;
- Assist in displaying merchandise by stocking shelves, counters, racks and tables;
- Maintain a safe and clean store environment by assisting with the daily cleaning and maintenance.
- Formal dance training in classical ballet;
- Two (2) years customer related field experience; local knowledge of the dance market would be an asset;
- Completion of a high school diploma; related post-secondary education is a definite asset;
- Intermediate knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook and POS system experience;
- Strong problem solving abilities, superior communication, customer service and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and as a team member.
Successful candidates must supply Canada’s National Ballet School with a Police Reference Check in accordance with the School’s Child Abuse/Sexual Abuse Prevention Policy; this will be coordinated through the Human Resources Department of NBS.
Qualified applicants should email applications, including resume and cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Pointe Shoe Fitter Trainee – Sep2017” in the subject line by October 22, 2017*.
* Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Canada’s National Ballet School is located at 400 Jarvis St., Toronto, Ontario M4Y 2G6.
Please visit www.nbs-enb.ca for more information.
NBS is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the AODA. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, applicants are asked to make their needs/requirements known.
NBS thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.