Kaeja d'Dance - Established in 1991, Kaeja d’Dance is a Toronto based dance company that is renowned for creating exceptional contemporary dance work, award winning dance films and empowering education, community & outreach programs. At the heart of Kaeja are two dynamic energies – Co Artistic Directors Karen & Allen Kaeja. With their Company of exquisite dancers, Karen & Allen push the boundaries of Canadian contemporary dance and infuse local and international communities with exciting new experiences both on and off the stage. Karen & Allen collaborate with international and local dance artists, composers, musicians, stage & costume designers to create performances that have captivated audiences in Toronto, Canada and across the globe. They have presented over 60 original works and have been commissioned to choreograph works on dance companies locally and in England, Mexico, India, Sweden and the United States. Kaeja’s signature aesthetic explores the equal partnership of men and women through Contact Dance and utilizes Improvisation as a tool for creation. With performances filled with athletic intensity and theatrical imagery, the Company celebrates many themes in their work that relate to family history, community and the human condition. Karen & Allen’s partnership is a match of two distinct sensibilities and artistic visions that fuel Kaeja d’Dance’s memorable and physically passionate performances.
Kaeja d’Dance is seeking a Managing Director to partner with the Co-Artistic Directors to fulfill the artistic vision of the company. This is an exciting opportunity for an arts professional to work with one of Canada’s established and vibrant contemporary dance companies.
This position (37.5 hours per week) will provide opportunities for a knowledgeable, ambitious individual to take on a leading role in the development of the Company’s continuity and new initiatives. The ideal candidate is a highly organized, self-directed problem solver, a team player and has at least 3 years working experience in the Non-profit Arts Sector. The candidate has exceptional good judgement and a commitment to the audience and donor experience. If you have a passion for arts management, developing audiences, forging connections, live performance, community engagement and contributing directly to the success of an innovative arts organization, this position is for you!
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Proposal writing, grant writing, evaluation and reporting.
- Designing, and implementing business development strategies to increase revenue.
- Project management of multi-year community engagement projects, festivals, tours, film shoots, special events and creation projects
- Marketing, outreach and communication strategy development for events and productions
- Budget and financial management of the company, payroll, banking, contracting, and supervising a part-time bookkeeper.
- Stakeholder relations including those with community partner organizations, presenters, funders, donors and our audiences
- Team with 2 full-time Artistic Directors and supervise 1 full-time Production Manager, several part-time employees and contract staff and volunteers
- Knowledge of the non-profit arts and Canadian dance scenes will be considered an asset
- Reading strategic plans from funders and finding ways to connect your organizations existing programming and people to their goals and priorities.
- Degree or diploma in business administration, or arts administration.
- Advanced computer competency in word processing, spreadsheets, data management and social media platforms
- Knowledge of Quickbooks or another accounting software (Freshbooks or Simply Accounting) OR a strong affinity to, and ease in, learning new programs
*SOFT SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Detail oriented. You love the details – managing critical paths, creating timelines, maintaining schedules, tracking/documenting materials, proofreading copy, etc.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage staff, multitask, schedules, personalities and competing/complimentary interests simultaneously while responding to two Artistic Directors
- Impeccable budget understanding and management
- Excellent memory and ability to track details
- Advanced problem-solving skills. You are a resourceful and creative thinker when faced with a challenge, and you understand that every obstacle has a solution. You think ahead, anticipate potential problems/outcomes and plan accordingly
- Highly developed research and grant writing skills and a track record of writing successful funding submissions.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Comfortable working with a variety of stakeholders such as presenters, arts councils, volunteers, our board, current and potential donors, local politicians, small business owners and community groups with a commitment to quality customer service. You feel comfortable talking to strangers and building connections for our work and the company
- Comfort in evolving projects
- Comfortable working in non-profit setting with a strong interest in the performing arts, community engagement, public space activation and city building
- Can-do attitude, positive outlook with a desire to work collaboratively to make magical things happen!
One of Canada’s longest standing contemporary dance companies, Toronto’s Kaeja d’Dance’s husband and wife founders are at the heart of the Company. Since 1991, Kaeja d’Dance creates award-winning contemporary dance performances, community and audience engagement events, site-specific works, acclaimed dance films and educational programming. With over 160 original works including commissions here and abroad, the company develops innovative performance platforms for professional and community dance artists provoking collaborative relationships between the body and the everyday. Karen and Allen’s signature aesthetic is known for its athletic intensity, sensual articulation and theatrical imagery. https://www.kaeja.org/
HOW TO APPLY:
- Submission deadline: The position will remain open until filled.
- Salary for this position is based on a full time (37.5 hours per week) salary of $50,000 annually
- Please email your cover letter, resume as one single pdf document
- The committee will review applications as they arrive
Kaeja d’Dance is an equal opportunity employer. While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Those who will be invited for an interview will be contacted ASAP.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $45,000.00 to $50,000.00 /year
- Business Administration: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Toronto, ON (Required)